As most of you may already know, I am always looking for projects that are fairly easy and that I can do with the kids. My crafting skills are almost non-existent so when I say I need something easy, I mean that literally. While looking for signs to make I came across a gem of a project. It’s easy, it’s fun, it doesn’t take long, and the kids can help. It was an all-around win for me (and hopefully you as well)!
What you need:
Colored Paint (we used a different color per kid and white for our board)
Underlayment Boards (We bought a 4×4 and had it cut in half so we had (2) 2×4 boards)
Trim (we used 3 1”x 2” 8f boards) *we cut two of them in half to make 4ft boards and 1 into 1/4s to make 2ft boards*
Stain (color of your choosing)
Start by applying the stain to your board. You don’t have to press hard and you actually want the brush strokes to be seen (if you are going for a rustic look). You also do not want to cover the whole board. Once the stain dries completely (trust me when I say completely!) you can paint the board white. This time you do want to cover the whole board.
Next you want to stain your trim. You can do this by using a sponge or a paintbrush. It is completely up to you. The sponge is what we chose and we really liked the way it turned out.
This step can get a little messy, so be forewarned. We pour each kids’ paint choice on an old plate ( you can use a rolling pan or anything you like for this). They then placed their hands in the paint. I helped them (one at a time) make a W with their thumbs and index fingers, then had them spread out their other fingers. They placed their hands on the board for thirty seconds and then raised them up slowly. This made the print for their butterfly.
Once the paint dried from all of their butterflies, I traced their handprints with a black sharpie. I then drew two dots (one above each thumb print) and two antennas (one above each dot) to finish their butterflies. They each wrote their names and dates below the butterflies.
Once this was competed, I attached trim to my board. I did this by hammering a nail on each end and one in the middle of the top, bottom, and both sides. After that I was finished and ready to hang our DIY woodwork.
This was a great project. Even though it did get a little messy (hello, kids!) we really enjoyed it. There are so many different things you can do with this style of woodworking, the possibilities are pretty much endless. In fact, my kids are now wanting to do another project like this with their feet as tulips! We shall see how it goes!